Friday, January 2, 2015

Be Brave

Hello, hello!

Yesterday I wrote about the year that is to come. This brand new, blank slate that we have in front of us is an opportunity to write a fresh story. 

My word for this year is brave. Be brave. There are so many things that I want in my life that I am too afraid to do. Fear is what stops me from doing something 99% of the time. Many times I feel confident in a decision I am making, but then a little voice inside of me will start to come out and tell me that I will fail or that I'm not making the right choices. The little voice wants to hold me back and make me second guess myself and my talents. I'm deciding that 2015 is the year that I shut the door on my fear and focus on what can come out of being brave.




// 2015 Goals //

Get up by 9:00// I have such a struggle with this one. I have never been good at waking up early, even in high school, but I have made it work in college for my 8 ams (they're horrible, I know). But on the days I know I don't have class or any commitments, I have such a hard time getting up, even when I set alarms. The days when I do sleep in and wake up at 10:30 or even 12:30 (that happened earlier this week....) I feel like my day is gone and I really hate that feeling. My goal for January is to get up everyday by 9:00, whether I have class or not, in order to be productive and live my days to the fullest. 

Work out 3xs a week// I know, how cliché. Instead of simply saying "I want to lose weight" or "I want to get in shape" I have decided to be specific on this and commit to working out 3xs a week. This gives me the flexibility to work out when and where I want. Right now I workout very sporadically, there's no real method to my madness, so this way I have a plan that can help me keep track of what I'm doing and not set me up for failure. 

Staying organized// If you've ever met me in real life you know I am far from being organized. My room is typically a mess, I am always running late to everything, and I forget assignments/events so much it's unreal. This year (hopefully with the help of my parents, teachers, and friends) I am committing to staying organized. I want to write out my entire semester in my planner in the first week of class, I want to set aside time each day to devote to my school work, and to be truthful with myself each month on how good (or bad) I've kept up with everything. 

Eat at home// I almost always have the intention of eating my meals at home, but there are so many days that by the time I am done with classes or work, I am too tired to cook and end up picking something up on the way home. Not only is this unhealthy, it is so expensive. And let's be real, I'm college student poor. In order to make this goal attainable I am going to start by letting myself eat out twice a week; this way I am giving myself room to hang out with friends or whatever without feeling restricted. 

Improve on my photography skills// I got my camera last year as a Christmas present and have spent the past year slowly learning the basics of it all. I have to say my pictures have improved tremendously...I was looking at one of the first recipe shoots I did and all I can say is yikes! This Christmas, I got a new lens and downloaded a couple of beginners workshops to learn all the ins and outs of a DSLR camera. I want to commit to spending one weekend a month to listening to the tutorials as well as practicing on people, scenery, etc.

Share my story// Now this might not make sense to most of my readers because, well I haven't shared my story yet. I have had different heart problems and conditions throughout my life that have changed me and shaped me into who I am today. I have been wanting to write about this for awhile now but something (hint, hint, fear) has been holding me back. This year I am committing to face my fears and to be brave and share my story with you all. 

Get involved with AHA// This goes hand in hand with what I said above. Like I mentioned, I have had heart problems/defects all of my life but I am just now getting to the age to where I can truly understand the severity of it all and how it does and will affect my day to day life for the rest of my life. I have decided to take that extra step and get involved with the American Heart Association (and possibly a few other heart disease organizations) to help bring awareness to the number one leading cause of death in the United States, heart disease. 

Continue to write// I love writing and I always have, but it is so easy to get discouraged when writing. There are many times when I get writer's block or simply feel like my work sucks and isn't worth spending my time doing. Writing is truly one of my biggest passions, it gives me so much joy and pride when I read something I've written and think "wow that's pretty dang good". This coming year I am committing to writing. No matter what I write or how terribly it sucks, I want to be brave and confident in my writing. 

Show kindness// In general, I think I am pretty kind-natured. I really do care about others and want everyone to feel loved and included, but I don't go out of my way to make sure that happens. Sure, I might smile at the new girl in my class but I have never been the person to go sit down and talk to her. I want to push myself out of my comfort zone and reach out to people I would have never done before. I am committing to paying for the person's drink behind me, volunteering because I want to and not because I have to, and giving back to the less fortunate with my time and my money. 

Strengthen my personal relationship with God// As I have written throughout my blog, 2014 was a major turning point for my faith. My faith started to strengthen October of my freshman year in college (super random and specific, I know) but it was really kicked into high gear this past January. I will be the first to admit that I really struggle with God and religion, meaning the closer I became to the Lord, the more I felt pressured to be perfect and instead of focusing on my personal relationship, I began focusing on the do's and don'ts of everything. Going into 2015, I am committing to focusing on my personal relationship with God first and everything else second. I would rather know my Creator and have a one-on-one relationship with Him as opposed to just being a rule follower. 

Read// Personally, I think reading rocks. I love, love, love to read! But I will admit, lately I have been somewhat of a book serial killer, meaning, I have started a book, read a few chapters and never picked it up again. I want to end the mass murdering of books (too far?) and give them a little love by actually finishing them. So, if you have any good titles you'd recommend help a girl out and leave them below!

I am so incredibly excited for this new year and all the adventures that I know will come out of it by kicking fear goodbye and being brave! Share with me some of your goals you have for 2015!

Simply, 

Kendall Rose




22 comments:

  1. It is definitely a goal of mine to work out more this year as well :-) That's something that can so easily be pushed to the back burner and then, before you know it, a month has gone by! :-) Very fun post, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like working out is a pretty cliché thing to say, but I think for almost everyone it is so true! You're so right, everything goes by in a blink of an eye. Thank you for reading Katie!

      Delete
  2. Great Goals. Reading is one I would like to do more of. Just need to find a book that interests me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Pamela! As described above, I start books but unless it grabs my attention immediately or I've heard that the book is good, I just have a hard time sticking with it. I hope you find some great books!

      Delete
  3. I love these goals! I've got a lot of the same ones. Especially reading! I love to read, but I feel like time always gets away from me. One of my tricks I'm going to start utilizing is audiobooks. Hellooooo, reading at work. ;)
    xo Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great tip! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely have to start using audiobooks. Good luck on all your goals this year and thanks for reading!:)

      Delete
  4. Wow! You are undertaking a lot of new goals in 2015. But I feel you are the type of person who can accomplish whatever you set your mind to. Best of luck in all your endeavors, Kendall. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to really kick everything into gear and start some major change in my life! Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. I know it sucks but getting up early is so worth it! I get up earlier than my family every Sunday to prep for the week. I know I could sleep in, but I feel so accomplished and more organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great to hear! So far I am on day 6 and I'm not going to lie, it has been hard. I know in the long run it will be worth it but I haven't been reaping the rewards just yet.

      Delete
  6. We have many in common. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny, because "brave" is also my word for this year! I don't want to lose any opportunities because I'm too scared to do something :D I hope all your wishes come true this year <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go girl! It is definitely my nature to stay in my comfort zone but I am through with that. Best wishes to you! I will be thinking of you throughout the year Iida!

      Delete
  8. First of all I want to say I am a huge fan of your blog! I love every single one of your resolutions. I know that if you keep it up you will find so much peace and happiness by the end of the year! Good luck in everything! Happy New Year and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ann-Marie! That truly means so much to me, I am so happy you found me! I am really looking forward to this year and everything it will bring. Fingers crossed I will have the strength and self control to keep up with them. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  9. Good morning to ya! I was wondering if you could tell me what app you use to edit you photos. I recently bought a camera and would really like to get into photography more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't edit my photos too much, technically speaking, because I really don't know how. Ha! But I do use PicMonkey (just the free version) to add the text and all of that. I hope that helps some! But PicMonkey is great:)

      Delete
  10. Great goals and I share a lot of them

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will be writing, read, and getting closer to God together. :) Those 3 are a few of my goals, too! I am a big baby about going outside when it's cold so I cook in my apartment ALL the time. I think you will like it once you figure out what works for you! You will find the things you LOVE to cook and it will be great!

    http://kyliemcgraw.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to know I am not the only one out there working on these things! They can be so daunting to tackle by yourself. I am the same way... I hate the cold but somehow I still manage to get myself out of bed to get food. I've been trying some new/easy recipes and so far they have been yummy and a real motivation to continue cooking. Good luck with your goals Kylie!

      Delete