Thursday, October 2, 2014

10 Secrets to being Happy

Happiness is something that we're always searching for in this life. People always say happiness is a choice. And although it may be, it's a hard choice to live out. You have to make a constant, conscious effort to maintain your happiness and sometimes it gets exhausting.  

A few days ago I considered the idea of making a 10 secrets to being happy list so yesterday when I came across an article about Pope Francis where he shared 10 tips on being happy, I knew I had to to create my own, or expand on his. His list rocks and you should definitely go read it.



1. Ask God to help you- Whenever I start to feel grumpy and stressed out I close my eyes and just ask God to help lift my mood and focus on the positive in my life. When you ask, He delivers.

2. Keep a "grateful" journal- Each morning when I wake up I (try) to write down what I'm grateful for. This really starts my day by putting everything in perspective. Sometimes we forgot just how lucky we are to have simple things such as shelter, food, and water. That's when I realize how fortunate I really am.

3. Surround yourself with happy and positive people- I have written a post about this before and it is just so important to understand. When you're around people who are negative and mean then you become negative and mean. Take a look at your friends and ask yourself if they're a positive influence for you.

4. Treat yourself- or treat yo' self as Tom Haverford would say. Buy something or do something that you enjoy. It's okay to do something for yourself, in fact you should so something for yourself. It promotes happiness.

5. Exercise- this is a hard one for me still. Really hard. As in if I do work out it's pretty much a miracle. But I have to admit when I do work out it makes me feel so good. It has to do with dopamine being released or something like that, but all science aside it works.

6. Take a shower and get dressed- Okay maybe this applies to college students more than anyone else but I've realized I'm much happier on the days that I take care of myself then on the days I bum around in sweats with my unwashed hair. Moral of the story, listen to what you're mom has been telling you for years. Get dressed.

7. Laugh and laugh a lot- There's no denying laughing reduces stress and can change a frown upside down (even when you don't want it to). Put aside 10 minutes of time to talk to a silly friend or watch a funny TV show to brighten up your day.

8. Go outside (or at least out of the house)- This kinda goes along with #6. Even though we all need those lazy days when you stay inside all the time it is easy to get depressed.  Outside in the real world there is an unlimited amount of adventures that you can go one which leads to an unlimited amount of memories you can make.  So get off the couch and go be adventurous. 

9. Do something kind for someone- When you focus on someone other then yourself, you (a) forget about your problems/struggles you're going through and (b)  when you make someone smile it makes you smile. 

10. Take what people say about you with a grain of salt- I used to (secretly) be so worried about what everyone thought of me. I would avoid people and social interactions because I was always thinking of the what ifs. What if these people think I'm annoying? I've come to realize that it really doesn't matter. At the end of the day one person's opinion (or 100 people for that matter) doesn't define me and who I am. 


Happiness is contagious. Be change and then you will see the change. Life is too short to be unhappy. 

Okay, enough of the clich├ęs. Just be happy.

Simply, 

Kendall Rose

13 comments:

  1. I love that you started out with "ask God to help you"! Such essential advice that so often gets overlooked.
    And taking a shower and getting dressed surprisingly does wonders for my mood too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! All of these fix my mood right away! Specially #1, seeking Christ for your happiness is so important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mariel! I think we often find requests such as happiness to be trivial but in reality God wants to be the center of your entire life and that means asking for His help and advice on everything!

      Delete
  3. Love all of these!! Great reminders that I badly needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you stopped by! These simple "secrets" often slip our mind in the busyness of life and sometimes it just helps to take a moment and remember that we can always change our outlook on things:)

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful. I agree about the shower thing. A good, hot shower typically helps me calm down and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, me too! In fact, I just had a long day with school and work and I was so stressed about everything so I hopped in the shower and prayed (I find it very relaxing to pray in the shower) and now I have to say I am at peace!

      Delete
  5. Such great reminders! And the shower thing? YES! I always feel SO MUCH better when I take a shower--it keeps my mind off things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm really lazy and I don't want to take a shower (gross I know!) but like you said- a good hot shower goes a long way:)

      Delete
  6. I love this!! Sometimes when I'm in a rut the best thing to do is to go outside or do something for someone else:) Thanks for posting this <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Daisy! I love the idea of going outside- sometimes we just need to take our minds off of the stressful things in life and focus on what is right in front of us.

      Delete
  7. I love all of these! Especially the prayer journal & the "shower and get dressed" haha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that helps! Also, talking to God always helps me get encouraged & happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prayer journal just puts things in perspective for me- it is so amazing how we can so easily forgot all the good in our life when something is weighing us down. Love that you talk to God too! Sometimes when I'm stressed I just whisper something to Him and He always provides!

      Delete