Sunday, July 13, 2014

Farmers Market

I went to the Dallas Farmer's Market in June with my lovely mom. If I'm being honest, it wasn't what I was hoping it to be but it was still cute and something different so that's a big plus to me. 



Seeing that Dallas is a big city, I was expecting gorgeous fruits and flowers galore. What we got was rotting apples and the garden man yelling at us to buy a basil plant.

We planned this trip to the DFM a couple days in advance just so we I could prepare for the early morning. I woke up bright and early in a perfectly cheery mood and came downstairs to find my mother, in bed, in her pajamas, watching Criminal Minds. I got sucked in, of course, and instead of leaving by 9:30 like we planned, we were stepping into the shower at 9:45. 

This summer was supposed to be my "get fit" summer... well that didn't last very long, but remember we're still in June when all this happened.  Right before we walked out the door, (at practically midnight) we made green smoothies with a Vitamineral Green mix. Immediately upon tasting the drink my mom gagged as I pretended to enjoy this nasty thing.  Two sips later I obliged and dumped the drink along with hers. 

After much discussion and comparing of nutritional facts, we decided to stop at Starbucks to get smoothies. The smoothie was too liquidy and didn't have enough ice according to my mom, and at this point I was just so over everything I didn't even want mine. So the Starbucks smoothies were also disposed of. 

When we arrived at the DFM, my spirits were lifted instantly... until we walked into the first building. The supposed "artisan and bakery" area was more or less three stands selling honey, two chunks of cheese, and dried up bath bombs. The biggest attraction was the BBQ sold in the food court...literally people wait over 2 hours for this stuff.

I have to say the funniest part was when we stopped at the flower booth. When we walked by the first time we were told that the basil plant was $3, but since it was the first booth we passed we held off on the basil buying until we saw the rest of the produce. 

Lucky for flower booth #1, everything else kind of sucked. But unlucky for us, by the time we made it back around to the booth the basil had doubled in price. When we told the man that his son had told us a cheaper price before he literally yelled at us to take the plant and pay him. 

Oh the best part of it all, we stopped by Trader Joe's on the way home where basil plants were sold for $2. Fail. 



//meet Farmer John*, the cutest old man/farmer I have ever met in my life (he makes 2)//



One #SimplySummerBL down...many more to go.

Simply,

Kendall Rose

*I can't remember his name!!






4 comments:

  1. Hello Kendall! I’ve nom­i­nated you for a Lieb­ster Award. It’s an award that blog­gers pass on to each other so we can get to know each other and so our read­ers can get to know us a lit­tle bet­ter too! You can check it out on my blog.
    http://www.claytonfamilykitchen.com/?p=435

    I love the idea of bucket lists! Love the photos from the farmer's market!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, I am glad that you found me . Thank you for nominating me, I'm excited to answer the questions and get to know the other bloggers!
      xx
      Kendall

      Delete
  2. I swear one of my favorite things to do in any new city is find the farmer's market...that's probably so weird, but it's just vibrant and full of life and you get the best local tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you Amanda! There's just something about farmer's markets that make me so happy!

      Delete